I suggest you ...

use nuget for distribution

Instead of all the drama associated with getting and installing your various components today, I'd really like it if I could just do the following:

1. Go to Tools->Options->Package Managers->Packages Sources in Visual Studio and add a new source for Infragistics.

2. Then using nuget, just like I do for all my other components, I could pick your components using the search dialog - references would be added automatically - js/css files would be automatically installed (in the case of igniteui for example), etc.

3. If you release and update/SR what have you, I'd use the update functionality in nuget to automatically update things when I was ready.

Seems like this would simplify things for both you and your users.

I'm not sure nuget supports authentication, but given the nature of the product, I'd think it could be added easily so that when you went to install a product it would ask for your login and password just like the website does today when you go to download.

91 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

MolallaCommMolallaComm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AndyJAndyJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to add my support for Nuget packages. We've converted our own libraries to be hosted on our private Nuget server, and now we're having to add references to Infragistics libraries manually to make sure they get included. (Previously everything was in a Libraries folder alongside the solution, so the build found everything there automatically).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> What are your thoughts on that approach?
        There is only one requirement it should work with nuget.exe out of the box. it doesn't matter if it would be zip archive (that we need to unpack to local folder), or some public/private nuget server.

• Greg SohlGreg Sohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option would be to just supply .nuspec files with the installation. We can use them to build our own .nuget files for use on our own internal NuGet repositories.

• Greg SohlGreg Sohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also appreciate *also* having distribution of NuGet packages, in addition to the traditional distribution. We would place the NuGet packages in our own repository, not expect them to be on the public NuGet repo.

How are those discussions coming Brian?

Thanks.

Greg

• AdithyaAdithya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin, Its been more than 18 months since the request was logged and its still under review ?? Please do accept this and make it happen ASAP .. Would save a lot of trouble for us developers whenever an upgrade needs to happen :)

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you go down the NuGet route, it would be great if you could have separate packages for each UI component, to minimise install / update size & time.

• AchimAchim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NuGet support for Infragistics stuff is a great idea. We're experiencing lot of trouble especially regarding our automated build process. Every anonymous build node (currently we're using Jenkins) has to have an infragistics installation of the exact version and of course a license installed.

We're dreaming of a world where we can reference an infragistics nuget package in our solutions, add a build license to the source code repository and then being able to build an infragistics based project on any build node that is available.

• stevesteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NuGet seems to be taking over as THE way to update third party add-ons. I think it would be wise for Infragistics to at least support this method as an option.

• Damon CarrDamon Carr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do this!

We have an internal use NuGet repository which has become central to our development process. We recently took advantage of the fact Telerik offers NuGet packages for their WPF controls. Although we use more Infragistics it is likely the use of Telerik will increase due to the NuGet packages being available. We prefer a separate package per control to avoid unnecessary dependencies and Telerik makes that available.

Is there any way you can strongly consider providing us these NuGet packages? We could build them ourselves but that seems like something you should provide.

• Daniel KDaniel K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NuGet support would be great, whether via a private repository or the default one. If you do so, please include all binaries, including the signed versions that are zipped. "Windows Forms signed complete :)".

Btw: I'd like to point out, that everyone can currently download the trial anyway. So why not just put the stuff on the public repository with the usual "no license key, you get 30 day trial mode" option. It's kind of a for-free advertisement and it increases the reputation of the components. I for myself when looking for any free helper component on the net, take the ones that are available via nuget more seriously.

• Bob ValeBob Vale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the figuring out of your own server + authentication is an issue, how about making the local installer for each package create a local repository on the users own machine.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the latest on this? Do you guys have a nuget server up for us to use yet?

• TravisTravis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the reference to your server idea sounds fine, it would still be a lot easier to use nuget than the current process

• Product Management TeamAdminProduct Management Team (Product Manager, Infragistics) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The distribution of Nuget will not allow the username / password. However, we are looking at our own Nuget server, so you'd just add a reference to our server in the Nuget settings. This way we could make you log in (at least once) to get the bits. What are your thoughts on that approach?

Feedback and Knowledge Base